The flu season is here and with the arrival of the H1N1 influenza, its wise to take some extra precautions for you and those around you in order to ensure that you stay healthy.
There is so much that could be said about the flu and the H1N1 but you've probably already read or heard about it through the media. If you are concerned about the symptoms or need more information, I encourage you to go to the CDC website or to WebMD.com There is a recent blog at their website "2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Safety"... make sure to check it out.
From my personal stand point, I have never taken a flu shot and I don't know if I ever will. By taking the flu shot I can either feel better or get worse... you know there are side effects, as many people report they don't react well afterwards.
Most people that actually get the flu shot every year just do so as a preventive measure. I guess that's OK, after all it's a personal decision. But there is no guarantee that they will work.
However when it comes to staying healthy, what we put in our bodies truly makes a difference and can affect our daily actions. And while we can't avoid every germ we can prepare our body to fight the cold and flu viruses. So proper eating and a healthy lifestyle may help to fight the germs and boost your immune system.
Sometimes the combination of proper eating, supplementing, exercise and rest goes a long way in helping you to stay healthy.
There are a few things you can do to improve your chances of staying healthy:
- WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!
- WASH YOUR HANDS!!!! Yup its that important. Washing your hands is still the best thing you can do everywhere you go, especially if you are at the gym. This is a place where people sweat, sneeze, rub their eyes and this easily makes it a scenario to spread germs. At most gyms, like at Electra Health Club & Spa, there are hand based alcohol-based hand cleaners and cream.
- If at the gym, wipe all the equipment before and after using it with a disinfecting or sanitizing wipe. It is important to do so in order to help stop the spread the germs.
- If you are sick... stay home!
- Eating healthy foods enriched with vitamins and minerals will keep your immune system up.
- Load up on vitamin C, D and Zinc.
- Get plenty of rest. Lack of sleep can weaken your body defense system to fight germs.
- Drink water!!!
- Exercise if you are feeling well enough. If you have body aches along with the rest of your symptoms, get some rest or go to the doc. If you exercise outdoors like we do at Boot Camp wear appropiate attire especially during cold weather or for when it rains.
Get fit - Stay fit!